Do you take a magnesium supplement ?
According to Doctor Carolyn Dean, author of The Miracle of Magnesium, the following 22 conditions are triggered by magnesium deficiency:
1.ANXIETY and panic attacks: Magnesium keeps stress hormones under control
2. ASTHMA: Magnesium deficiency increases histamine production and bronchial spasms
3.Blood clots: Magnesium thins blood, much like aspirin but without the side effects
4.Bowel disease: Magnesium deficiency causes constipation, potentially leading to toxicity, malabsorption of nutrients, or colitis
5. CYSTITIS: Magnesium deficiency can increase the frequency and severity of bladder spasms
6. DEPRESSION: Serotonin, which elevates moods, is dependent on magnesium
7.Detoxification processes: Magnesium is necessary for the natural removal of toxins and heavy metals
8. Diabetes: Magnesium enhances insulin secretion, facilitating sugar metabolism. Without magnesium, insulin is not able to transfer glucose into cells.
9.Fatigue: Magnesium is necessary for over 300 enzymatic reactions in the body. As such, when the body is magnesium-deficient and these enzyme reactions are not working properly, we experience fatigue.
10.Heart disease: Mg deficiency is common in people with heart disease. Mg is administered in hospitals for acute myocardial infarction and cardiac arrhythmia. Like any other muscle, the heart muscle requires Mg. Mg is also used to treat angina, or chest pain.
11.Hypertension: Magnesium deficiency causes blood vessels to spasm and increases cholesterol levels, which lead to blood pressure problems.
12. Hypoglycemia: Magnesium regulates insulin, keeping blood sugar levels constant.
13. Insomnia: Magnesium deficiency interferes with the production of melatonin, the hormone that regulates sleep.
14. Kidney Disease: Magnesium deficiency contributes to kidney failure and throws off lipid levels.
15. Liver disease: Magnesium deficiency commonly occurs during liver transplantation.
16. MIGRAINES: Magnesium balances serotonin levels. Serotonin deficiency can result in migraines.
17. Musculoskeletal conditions: Fibrositis, fibromyalgia, muscle spasms, eye twitches, cramps, and chronic neck and back pain may be caused by magnesium deficiency
18. Nerve problems: Magnesium alleviates peripheral nerve disturbances throughout the whole body, such as migraines, muscle contractions, gastrointestinal spasms, and calf, foot and toe cramps. It is also used in treating central nervous symptoms of VERTIGO.
19. Obstetrics and gynecology: Magnesium helps alleviate PMS and menstrual cramping; plays an important role in fertility; helps alleviate premature contractions, preeclampsia, and eclampsia in pregnancy; helps alleviate morning sickness and pregnancy-induced hypertension. It is also given to pregnant mothers to decrease the risk of cerebral palsy and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). According to Dr. Dean, “Magnesium should be a required supplement for pregnant mothers.”
20.Osteoporosis: When combined with calcium and vitamin D, magnesium helps increase calcium absorption. For this reason, magnesium deficiency promotes bone loss.
21. Raynaud’s Syndrome: Magnesium helps relax the spastic blood vessels that cause pain and numbness of fingers.
22. Tooth decay: Magnesium deficiency causes an imbalance of phosphorus and calcium in saliva, which damages teeth.
Note that these conditions are ” triggered” – not caused – by magnesium deficiency. So while upping magnesium intake will not cure these conditions, it has been shown to decrease symptoms.